Twitter

Saturday, November 12, 2011

A 2013 leadership race for the Saskatchewan NDP?

Some New Democrats want to put off a leadership race until 2013. There may be some benefits to that, but there is also a downside to it to. Now I'm not a Saskatchewan New Democrat, so perhaps I have no business adding my two cents worth here, but I will anyhow. The longer it takes for the NDP to elect a new leader, the more likely it is for permanent divisions to form and harden in their party. Long contests can be very divisive, and are a distraction from other more worthwhile party building efforts. If I was active in a party that is used to winning but had just suffered a huge election loss, I would want a new leader to hit the sandal and get on with the rebuilding effort, instead of delaying it. In short, putting off a vote until 2013 would result in a two-year leadership race.


No comments: